Certifications & Endorsements

Students must complete a state-approved program in order to qualify for teacher and administrator certifications. The University of Arizona offers many certification programs through various colleges and also offers several endorsements (attachments to certifications).

State Certification Programs on Campus
State Certification Programs off Campus
State Endorsement Programs on Campus
How to Get Certified at the UA (FAQs)
Institutional Recommendation information

The requirements for certification to teach in Arizona are:

  • A bachelor’s degree
  • Completion of a teacher-preparation program OR appropriate coursework in education classes
  • A passing score on the appropriate Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessment (AEPA)/National Exam Systems (NES) exam(s)
  • Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance
  • Appropriate fees

If you have questions about certification contact Student Services at  (520) 621-7865.  All requests for U of A Institutional Recommendations and to certify out-of-state forms require a minimum of a 72 hour processing time. 

U of A Institutional Recommendations can only be issued for one year after completion of the U of A certification program, and are only valid for one year upon issuance.  Out-of-state verifications may take longer to process if requirements were completed prior to 1988.

For more information, please visit the Arizona Department of Education website.